- 3 cups plain flour 375g
- 3/4 cup caster sugar 170g
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder 25g
- 1 cup chocolate chips 175g
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk 240ml
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil 100ml
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 - 24 teaspoons Nutella
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Spray or butter a 12-hole muffin pan, and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, and chocolate chips. Set aside.
- Whisk together the egg, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin slots, filling only half way. Spoon 1 - 2 teaspoons of Nutella into the centres, then pour the rest of the batter over the tops.
- Bake for 15 - 17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted just off centre (to avoid Nutella) comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Muffins stay fresh in an air-tight container at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 5 days. They also freeze well for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.