How To make Homemade Chocolate Gelato
Recipe type: Dessert
- 2¼ cups 2% milk
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup sugar, divided
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 extra-large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Large pinch kosher salt
- Heat the milk, cream, and ½ cup of sugar until the sugar dissolves and the milk starts to simmer.
- Add the cocoa powder and chocolate and whisk until smooth. Pour into a heat-proof measuring cup.
- Place the egg yolks and the remaining ¼ cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high speed for 3 to 5 minutes, until light yellow and very thick.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the hot chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
- Pour the egg and chocolate mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- A candy thermometer will register about 180 degrees F. Don't allow it boil!
- Pour the mixture through a sieve into a bowl and add the vanilla and salt.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the custard and chill completely.
- Pour the custard into the bowl of an ice cream maker and process for about 45 minutes.
- Place into freezer and eat when convenient
Enjoy your gelato!!!